Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Trying New Things...

Last night my kiddos and I decided to do a little fall baking. They love to get in the kitchen and "experiment" as they say.

I had found this receipt in a Betty Crocker calendar and decided that it would be perfect for a fall family night. The only thing I didn't have was whipped cream!!

Caramel Apple Dessert
1 1/2 cups Original Bisquick mix
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 medium cooking apples, peeled, sliced (2 cups)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup boiling water
Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350F. In medium bowl, mix Bisquick mix and granulated sugar. Stir in milk until blended. Pour into ungreased 9-inch square pan.
2. Top with apples; sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Pour boiling water over apples.
3. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserts in center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream.
All in all it came out pretty well. My biggest challenge was keeping my 5yr old from eating all of my fresh cut apples.
However, I think if we make it again I will reverse steps one and two. I would place the apples, cinnamon, sugar, lemon juice and water on the bottom of the pan. Then I would pour the Bisquick mixture on top. Maybe 3/4 of the way through baking, brush the top with a melted butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture to give a nice golden crunch to the top.
Talk to ya soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yumm! Anything with apple is winner to me. Thanks for the link about the granite tiles. It's always great to get some new ideas on how to get an expensive look on the cheap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropp'in by the cottage!